Connecticut Childbirth Nurse Pursues MSN Nurse Practitioner

As an eighth grader, Samantha Fair started volunteering in her community’s medical center, Griffin Hospital. The Connecticut native says becoming a nurse was her plan for as long as she can remember.

“Since I was very little, I thought I would become a nurse,” says Samantha, who started out at Southern Connecticut State University for her college education. “I struggled with the large classes and the lecture halls and decided I needed a smaller setting.” She stopped attending Southern Connecticut State and enrolled in the local community college’s ADN program, graduating in 2005.

A start in medical-surgical

Samantha started her nursing career at St. Vincent’s Medical Center in Bridgeport, Connecticut. But just a year and a half later, she had the opportunity to join Griffin, where it all began with her middle school volunteer experience. 

“I was a young mother and giving birth made me realize how special the entire childbirth experience was,” says Samantha. That turned her onto the idea of working in labor and delivery, where she has been ever since. “I feel very fortunate to have worked in our childbirth center at Griffin Hospital for my entire time there. I truly love it and I love the patients.”

In 2011, Samantha had an opportunity to join Yale New Haven Hospital, working with high-risk pregnant patients. But before long, she returned to Griffin. “Yale was an excellent experience but Griffin feels like home,” she says.

A life change and further education

After a divorce in 2010, Samantha felt furthering her education was important. “I wanted to make myself more valuable and I knew that there is a movement toward all hospital nurses holding bachelor’s degrees,” says Samantha. She enrolled in a BSN program in 2012, but life took her off course a few times. She remarried in 2015, had another child in 2016 and dealt with several health issues with her child that involved many hospital and doctor visits. In 2020, after years of hard work, Samantha graduated with the BSN.

Discovering the MSN Nurse Practitioner Program at Post University

Samantha’s husband is an employee of Post University, which acquired American Sentinel University in March 2021. “I have long thought about earning the Nurse Practitioner, so when we found out that American Sentinel’s MSN Nurse Practitioner program would be part of Post, I immediately did my research,” says Samantha. “I had looked at several colleges before this one, but this program was a fit.” Specifically, she was excited about the 100% online structure, the curriculum, and the included practice experience hours and precepted clinical hours. 

An eye on the future

Samantha just started her MSN coursework in May 2021, but she’s already looking to the future. “Ultimately, I would love to join Griffin Hospital’s faculty practice and work with our OBGYN offices to work in collaboration with the educator at Griffin Childbirth Center,” she says. “I’d love to ensure a smooth transition from the office to the hospital setting for patients’ childbirth experience.”

Recommending American Sentinel College of Nursing & Health Sciences to colleagues

Samantha is eyeing a 2023 graduation date, and excited about her future. “So far the classes have been great,” she says. “I only know women’s health, so for me, this is great exposure to many different areas and topics. I’m learning a lot, and I’m trying to convince my coworkers to join me in this program!”

An unexpected surprise, Samantha adds, is the excellent support she has received so far. “I didn’t expect such amazing personal attention,” she says. “But I am learning that this is just how American Sentinel operates. The advisors and staff are so thorough and so caring. They made the whole process of enrolling and getting started easy.”

Inspired by Samantha’s story? An MSN program can be your passport to a specialty nursing field, like nursing educationinformatics, nursing management and organizational leadership, case management, infection control, or nurse practitioner. Specialized knowledge forms the foundation of these nursing fields. When you acquire new knowledge, you can apply it to nursing practice in ways that enhance patient care and improve outcomes. 

Read the other student success stories for more.

By clicking the button above, Post University has your consent to use automated technology to call, text and email you regarding its educational services at the contact information provided above. It is not a requirement to provide this consent to attend Post University. Post University’s Terms and Privacy Policy apply.

Virginia Veteran Administration Nurse Pursues MSN Case Management
Oklahoma School Nurse Earns BSN Powered by SIMPath®