Pennsylvania Professional Development Nurse Works Toward MSN Nursing Education

When June Godlewski was growing up, there was no bigger career influence for her than her Aunt June—her namesake. “I admired her and even went to the same school of nursing that she did,” says June, who grew up in Scranton, Pennsylvania, and still lives in the area. After graduating in 1991, she became an RN on the neuro/medical surgical floor at Mercy Hospital before moving into home and hospice care. 

Geisinger Health System

Five years into her nursing career, June was hired at Marworth Alcohol & Chemical Dependency Treatment Center, now part of the Geisinger Health System and called Geisinger Marworth Treatment Center. It is an inpatient and outpatient addiction treatment center north of Scranton. “This is a type of patient very close to my heart,” she says. “Your role is truly helping people try to reclaim their lives.” 

In 2012, June decided to get the BSN and attended Pennsylvania State University. She graduated in 2016. And after 22 years at Geisinger Marworth, June was approached about a new opportunity in professional development for Geisinger’s regional behavioral health and addiction nurses and nurse aides. She accepted the job in 2017. “I was actually not looking to get into education but I’m the type to believe everything happens for a reason, and this proved to be true. I love teaching and professional development.” 

Time for an MSN

It didn’t take long in her professional development position for June to realize that many of her colleagues held master’s degrees. “I learned so much during my first year in the job, but I felt like I didn’t have enough,” she says. To gain confidence, she decided to start exploring MSN Nursing Education programs, which led her to American Sentinel College of Nursing and Health Sciences at Post University. 

“I went on Geisinger’s website to peruse partnerships with different colleges and universities and found American Sentinel, which is accredited, affordable and online, which fits my life,” June says. She started the MSN Nursing Education program in 2019. 

A great program for independent learners

For June, the MSN Nursing Education at American Sentinel has been a good fit with her busy life as a full-time professional development RN. “I would recommend this program to independent learners like me who are seeking a great education but also disciplined and motivated to get the most out of it.”

June will graduate in December 2021. “I know that having this will help me in the job I have now, but I also think that one day I’d love to work as an adjunct faculty member at a nursing school.” Overall, the program met all of her expectations—and then some. “It’s been a great experience, even through COVID-19. They’ve been helpful, supportive and great all around. And soon, I’ll have a master’s degree, which gives me more security in my career.” 

Inspired by June’s story? An MSN program can be your passport to a specialty nursing field, like nursing educationinformatics, nursing management and organizational leadership, infection control, or nurse practitioner. Specialized knowledge forms the foundation of these nursing fields. When you acquire new knowledge, you can apply it to nursing practice in ways that enhance patient care and improve outcomes. 

Invest in the career you love. Invest in yourself.

Earning your Master of Science in Nursing gives you the opportunity to advance your career and continue to pursue your passion for nursing and healthcare.

With an MSN, you can pursue the path to management and leadership, specialize in an area such as nursing informatics or nursing education, or advance your patient care options as a Nurse Practitioner.

MSN Specializations

By clicking the button above, Post University has your consent to use automated technology to call, text and email you regarding its educational services at the contact information provided above. It is not a requirement to provide this consent to attend Post University. Post University’s Terms and Privacy Policy apply.

Utah Pediatric Nurse Approaches 2021 Graduation Date for MSN Family Nurse Practitioner
VA Nurse Manager Battles Stroke Through MSN Infection Prevention and Control