Year of the Nurse Scholar: Becky Anglin

Year of the Nurse Scholar: Becky Anglin

For Becky Anglin, nursing was a calling. 

During her senior year of high school, two of her grandparents were placed in hospice care, and Becky spent a lot of time helping care for them. “As an 18-year-old, watching the nurses do their jobs and seeing how impactful they were for my grandparents and my entire family was inspiring,” says Becky, who grew up in Montana. After graduating high school in 2003, she went straight to college to Montana State University to earn a BSN in 2007.

A start in orthopedics

Becky started her nursing career at St. Vincent Healthcare in Billings, where she had worked during college as a Certified Nurse Aide. She joined the orthopedics team initially, then became a clinical supervisor role before moving to labor and delivery in 2011. 

Recruited to teach

In 2013, Becky was approached by the labor and delivery instructor at MSU-Billings City College—someone she had gotten to know when precepting new nurses—to teach clinicals. “I was flattered and decided that I’m always up for a challenge. So, I gave it a try.” 

Immediately, Becky loved nursing education. “I loved it so much that even though I had sworn after my BSN that I would never go back to school, within three months, I was enrolled in an online MSN program.” In 2015, Becky graduated and was invited to become a full-time instructor at the college in the ASN program. 

A discovered passion

Although Becky never thought she would leave the bedside, teaching opened her eyes to another way she could make an impact. “The more I dove into teaching, the more I realized that my passion is educating future nurses,” she says. “I love having a positive effect on them.” 

In 2017, Becky became the health care services department chair as well as the program coordinator of the RN to BSN program at MSU-Billings. “I’m really enjoying mentoring students and helping them learn online,” she says. “We have bachelor’s and master’s programs for hospital directors and CEOs and chief administrators as well as nurses advancing their careers. I also oversee the bachelor’s and master’s health administration programs. I really enjoy advising those students and helping our faculty deliver a great education to them.” 

Inspired to pursue a doctorate

As a young professional who stepped into a leadership role, Becky felt it was important to earn a terminal degree. “I wanted to make sure I had the right skills, so I started looking for a doctorate program and the DNP Educational Leadership at American Sentinel kept coming up,” she says. In April 2019, Becky started the program. She is eyeing a June 2021 completion date. 

The Doctor of Nursing Educational Leadership program has helped Becky become a better educator. “I have three roles at MSU-Billings: program coordinator, department chair and a faculty member,” she says. “American Sentinel helps me in all three of those roles. I’m becoming more skilled in and knowledgeable about things like using technology and being a strong leader as well as designing course curriculum. It’s been a great program for me in where I am in my career.” 

Year of the Nurse Scholarship winner

Becky is a recipient of the Year of the Nurse Scholarship. “It really made the start of 2021 wonderful, knowing that a little financial burden has been lifted off my family,” she says. “And to me, the fact that I received the Year of the Nurse scholarship is very meaningful. It’s an honor that is far more than money. It’s something I am very proud of.” 

The DNP has given Becky confidence in her role as a leader at her university, where she plans to continue to implement everything she is learning in her program. “I have had some amazing mentors in my career, including the person who encouraged me to pursue teaching whose job I took over here when she retired,” Becky says. “Now, as I near the end of my DNP, I am excited to mentor others. I am looking forward to paying that forward and fueling my passion for educating nurses.” 

The World Health Organization (WHO) designated 2020 as the “Year of the Nurse and Midwife” and American Sentinel celebrated by offering a Year of the Nurse Scholarship. Several scholarships were awarded per quarter in 2020. Congratulations to the fourth quarter recipients. 

For those wanting to advance to leadership positions in education, hospital management, informatics or other related areas, consider American Sentinel’s online DNP program, with specializations in Executive Leadership, Educational Leadership, Informatics Leadership and Professional Leadership.

Check out our blog about DNP specialties to help you make this decision.

By clicking the button above, Post University has your consent to use automated technology to call, text and email you regarding its educational services at the contact information provided above. It is not a requirement to provide this consent to attend Post University. Post University’s Terms and Privacy Policy apply.

Florida Nurse Educator Works Toward DNP Educational Leadership
Colorado Nurse Administrative Director Works Toward DNP Professional Leadership