Credit by Exam and Test Out
American Sentinel College offers students the opportunity to demonstrate proficiency in a course’s content and receive course credit by examination or portfolio review.
- Proficiency exams may be developed and administered by the school or they may be administered by a national program such as CLEP, DANTES (DSST) or AP.
- Proficiency credit will be marked as such on the student’s transcript, but will not be included in GPA or rate of progress calculations.
- Proficiency credit will be included in the timeframe measurement calculation. If a student receives proficiency credit and later enrolls in the course, the grade earned in the course will be used in the GPA calculation.
BSN students – Announcing a new way for you to earn humanities credits by exam!
If you need humanities credit but do not want to take a full course, you are invited to learn and test your knowledge in one of our new Humanities by Exam options. For just $125, you have six months to pass the exam and receive credit for one of the following:
- Culture and Values: A Survey of the Humanities. An exploration from the beginning of civilization to present of some of the world’s most significant examples of art, music, philosophy, and literature.
- Gardner’s Art through the Ages: A Concise Global History. An introduction to art history, discussed in full historical and cultural context.
- Jazz: The First 100 Years: An interactive exploration of the development of jazz music from its nineteenth-century beginning in blues and ragtime, through swing and bebop, to fusion and contemporary jazz styles.
- Worlds of Music: An interactive, comprehensive exploration of music fundamentals in a worldwide context.
To find out how you can earn credit by exam or test out, contact admissions now by filling out the form on this page.
Students are responsible for requesting proficiency examinations and are encouraged to do so if the student’s experience or training warrants such an evaluation. Proficiency examination requests will not be honored if the student:
- Is currently enrolled in the course beyond the add/drop deadline.
- Was previously enrolled in the course for which the exam is being requested.
- Previously failed the proficiency exam for the course.
- Previously failed the course.
To discuss proficiency testing, a student should contact his or her student success advisor to initiate the process.
Any student requesting a proficiency exam who does not have credit for the prerequisite course must obtain approval from the dean. If the proficiency credit is granted, the student must still earn credit for the prerequisite course through proficiency credit, transfer credit or successful completion of the course. All tests and supporting documentation are retained in the student’s academic file.
To discuss proficiency testing, a student should contact his or her student success advisor. The student success advisor will contact the dean and the director of academics to initiate the process. Only a pass or fail grade will be issued.
Successful completion of any of the CLEP exams (left column below) can provide transfer credit toward American Sentinel College course requirements and electives for its degree programs (right column).
American Sentinel Course English Composition ENG110 English Composition Introductory to Psychology PSY140 Introduction to Psychology Introductory Sociology SOC135 Introduction to Sociology Principles of Macroeconomics ECN221 Principles of Macroeconomics Principles of Microeconomics ECN220 Principles of Microeconomics Biology BIO130 Fundamentals of Biology Chemistry CHEM101 General Chemistry Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to
HIS125 World Civilization I Western Civilization I: 1648 to the Present HIS225 World Civilization II College Algebra MA120 College Algebra College Mathematics MA101 College Mathematics Information Systems & Computer
IS101 Introduction to Computer Science
Successful completion of any of the DSST exams (left column below) can provide transfer credit toward American Sentinel College course requirements and electives for its degree programs (right column).
DSST ExamAmerican Sentinel Courses Introduction to Computing CS101 Introduction to Computer Science Fundamentals of College Algebra MA120 College Algebra Principles of Public Speaking COM215 Public Speaking Principles of Statistics MA200 Intro to Statistics Lifespan Developmental Psychology PSY200 Developmental Psychology